As live chat for business continues to gain momentum and becomes a popular mode of providing customer service, it is important to see to it that certain guidelines are in place to ensure that customers are receiving utmost service and satisfaction.
Chat is favored mostly for the convenience that it brings to its customers and the savings that it brings to the business owners. It is convenient because customers can get the help that they need at the tip of their fingertips. No need to run and get the phone or wait for the automated system to stop before they can talk to someone. They can also do other things at home while waiting for a response.
Cost-efficient because there is less average interaction costs compared to phone interaction. It also allows live chat agents to handle multiple customers at the same time. This means short or no queue at all. More customers are served, more chances of closing sales! New customers who are simply looking will also have their queries answered right away. This helps hasten the decision making process.
Customer service is the heart of any business that is still thriving nowadays. Deals and freebies come and go and customers may even forget that; but they will always remember if they’ve been treated poorly by a customer service representative. They will also remember and will make sure to spread the word if they’ve been treated with proper care and given rightful importance.
Live chat agents become direct representatives of the company or business that they work for. Customers won’t know who owns their cable company. All they will remember is that person they talked to on the phone or in chat. For them, that agent is the face of that company. Whatever he says or does is a reflection of how the company treats its customers.
When considering live chat for business, it is important to set out guidelines that will ensure check and balance of the business as a whole. One has to make sure that live chat agents are treating the customers right. Customers should get excellent service at all times. Their satisfaction should be the priority at all times, in any customer interaction.
However, it is also equally important that business rules are also enforced. These rules were created to protect the company, its people and customers. Below are basic guidelines that can be utilized to ensure that chat agents are providing excellent customer service while following business rules:
- Did the agent use all tools available at his disposal to provide the most appropriate resolution to the customer?
- Did the agent give a long-term resolution?
- Did the agent process all transactions accurately?
- Did the agent manage the customer’s expectations by educating him of all that he needs to know (fees, charges, and penalties) about a certain product or service that he is buying or taking advantage of?
- Are all issues resolved or will the customer have to go through the hassle of contacting customer service again for the same issue in the future?
- Was the agent able to communicate effectively to the customer?
- Were the thoughts conveyed cohesive and logical and did not confuse the customer?
- Did the agent show professionalism by maintaining proper sentence structure, spelling, punctuation, capitalization and spacing?
- Did the agent maintain professionalism by avoiding slang and other unprofessional language like profanity?
- Did the agent show that he cares and is willing and ready to help the customer?
- Was the agent paying attention to the customer by responding appropriately to his statements?
- Was empathy provided when needed?
- Was the agent efficient in giving resolution, not making the customer wait unnecessarily?
- Was the agent conversational, avoids too much scripting?
- Was there personal touch on the conversation?
- Was rapport established when necessary?
The chat service will only be effective if the live chat agents behind it are caring, capable and efficient. It starts from the hiring process and is sustained and developed through time, at work, by guidelines that evaluate one’s strengths and areas of opportunities, allowing room for improvement and eventually, achieving excellence.